- 2009: “Donation, not taxation: Making Medicaid and SCHIP compete fairly with medical charities,” entry for 2009 Pioneer Institute Better Government Competition. [pdf]
Basic idea is summarized here: <a href=”http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-t-schwartz/questioning-your-compassi_b_574030.html” target=”_blank”>Questioning Your Compassionate Politics.
- 2007. Free-market health care proposal, “Free-markets, Affordability, & Individual Rights,” to Colorado’s “Blue Ribbon” Commission on Healthcare Reform. Reached the “‘Short List’ of Proposals For In-Depth Assessment.” Available here.
- 2006. Anticipation or Resilience? Managing the health, safety, and environmental risks of nanotechnology, presentation at Science and Technology In Society: An Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference. [pdf of presentation] [policy analysis (pdf)]
- first author on three peer-reviewed articles completed for Ph.D. in electrical engineering.
Comprehensive publications list (1993-present)
Quoted in the media (full list).
Interviews and media mentions:
- News Talk 1310 KFKA, The Luke Shilts show (guest host Todd Shepherd), insurance companies dropping child-only policies, Sept. 2010.
- “Health Care Reform: The Public Option Is Not an Option,” iVoices, Independence Institute Podcast, Aug. 10 2009 (mp3).
- Backbone Radio with John Andrews, 710 KNUS Denver, health care, July 12, 2009.
- “A Look into Health Care in Colorado,” iVoices, Independence Institute Podcast, Jan. 20 2009 (mp3).
- East County Live, CCTV54 Citizens, Community Television, my opposition to “worthy cause” tax as forced charity, October 9 2008.
- My articles on this issue:
Vote No on Ballot Issue 1B, donate your own money, Longmont Times-Call, October 31
Ballot Issue 1B: “Worthy Cause” Tax, It’s Not Your Penny to Give, Daily Camera, September 25, Denver Daily News, October 21, Colorado Daily, October 26
- My articles on this issue:
- Backbone Radio with John Andrews, 710 KNUS Denver, “Colorado free-market health policy expert Brian Schwartz“, June 17 2007.
- Al Jazeera English, on panel about health care & the presidential election, moderated by John Rushing, August 28 2008.
- “In response to my last column documenting how Denver journalists love and embed the conservative/libertarian Independence Institute, some people asked whom I’d quote instead of institute President Jon Caldara. … For an extreme free-market view, there’s Ari Armstrong (ariarmstrong.com) and Brian T. S[ch]wartz (wakalix.com), among others.” — Rocky Mountain News columnist Jason Salzman, “On the Media,” October 2007.
- Colorado Inside Out, host, Peter Boyles, Colorado Public Television, on panel about the youth vote, 2004.
- Drawing the Line with Reggie Rivers, Colorado Public Television, on panel about the youth vote. 2004.
2001-’04. Event conception, coordination, and oversight as co-chair and webmaster of Campus Libertarians at University of Colorado. Wrote & presented funding proposals for public lectures by leading scholars and activists that drew hundreds of students. Planned logistics, designed, wrote, & distributed advertising through local print media.
Articles about event speakers: (click on name for report of event)
- Randy Barnett (Anarchy is not Chaos)
- Dave Kopel (terrorism and civil liberties)
- Sheriff Bill Masters (drug war)
- Wendy McElroy (prostitution debate)
- Tom Palmer (Globalization is Great! poster published in Cato’s Letter)
- Boston T. Party (You and the Police!)
- Ron Paul (The Constitution)
- Jeffrey Schaler, Addition is a Choice. (I’m interviewed in this Colorado Daily article)
- George H. Smith (voting and freedom)